"It is better to travel ten thousand miles than to read ten thousand books." - Chinese Proverb

Sunday, May 20, 2012

KTV

Ni Hao Everyone!

If you know me well, you'll never believe how I spent my Friday night this week: Singing Karaoke!! I know, crazy, right? Olivia doesn't like to sing in front of people...

It's true. I don't usually like to sing in front of people (I would NEVER do karaoke in America). However, there's something unique about Chinese karaoke (aka: KTV) that makes it exponentially more fun than American karaoke: Private Rooms.

So, when you want to karaoke in China, you visit your local KTV (they're on almost every other block) and sign up for a room. Room size ranges from 4-person rooms to 20+-person rooms. In the room you have one (sometimes two) TV monitors, two microphones, a couch and some chairs, a table, and a sort-of computer on which you make your song selections.

Then, you choose your songs (we've found a nearby KTV with an amazing English song selection) and belt your heart out... for only you and your friends to hear! It's a great way to let loose and relieve some stress, especially since it's a judgement-free zone (unlike karaoke back in the States). In fact, I like KTV so much, I even have a KTV VIP card for discounts.

So, on Friday, Rachel and I decided to have a girls-only KTV night at our favorite KTV (which is right down the street). We started off the night with a little liquid courage - turns out there's a bar not too far from where we live that has 3-yuan tequila shots on Fridays. That, my friends, is a 50 cent tequila shot. I'm not usually a big drinker, but I couldn't pass this opportunity up! (50 cents!?!) After a few shots of tequila at the bar, we headed to "In-Love KTV" to sing loud and proud for 3 hours... and we sang the entire time! (No breaks!) We even got a special gift from KTV: Cat ears! (Why? I have no idea! But that didn't stop us from wearing them all night.)

So, here are some funny pictures of Rachel and I singing (and dancing) while wearing our cat ears:

Air Guitar!


Rachel & her cat ears!

Jammin'!

Singing Adele :)



Still singing Adele (she's one of our favorites)

No comments: