"It is better to travel ten thousand miles than to read ten thousand books." - Chinese Proverb

Monday, May 14, 2012

母亲节快乐! (Happy Mother's Day!)

Today, I'd like to dedicate this post to one of my favorite people in the whole world: My Mom






For anyone who might not know, I consider my mom to be one of my closest friends - which makes me a really lucky person. She's also my personal health guru, my travel partner, my food and wine expert and my advice columnist. Not everyone has a relationship with his/her momma like I do. My mom is supportive, caring, fun (& funny), not to mention extremely creative and inspirational. I'm not sure she realizes it, but my mother helps me make decisions every day of my life. When I'm having trouble deciding between the "easy way out" versus "the right thing to do", it's my mom's voice that reminds me which choice is the right one. And when I'm faced with a serious dilemma (should I eat the chocolate one or the vanilla one?), I simply think "WWLD: What would Lanaya do?" (to answer the previous question, "have a little bit of both" haha). But in all seriousness, my mom truly does help me to be a better person every day - even from the other side of the world. And if it weren't for her, I might not be where I am today (not just because she gave birth to me, for all you smart alecs out there - but also because of her support and motivation).



Not many people react well to a 22-year-old moving to China on her own. Even people IN China think I'm crazy. "What about your friends?" they say. "What about your family?" And when they ask me those questions, I always start off by saying, "I am very lucky." And I AM very lucky! While other mom's might have said "Are you sure that's a good idea?" or "Why can't you just stay in the United States?," my mom said, "So when can I visit?!" And throughout the whole process of preparing, packing and freaking out, my mother was there to support me. And I know, what ever I decide to do next, she will continue to support me. And that, my friends, makes me one of the happiest daughters in the world.



I'm not sure my mom realizes how much I appreciate her - and I know I can't fully express it. Even if I could, there would be no way to repay my mom for everything she's done for me. So instead, I try to pay it forward. When my friends and family struggle to make a decision, I do my best to give honest advice and offer my full support, just like my mom would. When my friends and family need someone to talk to, I do my best to not just listen, but listen actively - just like my mom would. And I hope that by following my dreams and making my own adventures, I will inspire others, just as my mom has inspired me.



So, since I can't be home on mother's day this year, and since I haven't figured out how to send things from China to America, I would like this blog post to serve as a gift to my mother - to remind her that she is the most wonderful woman I know! I love you Mommy, and I can't wait to see you in China!!

No comments: