"It is better to travel ten thousand miles than to read ten thousand books." - Chinese Proverb

Sunday, June 10, 2012

我是一个电视名人

Today I received an e-mail from one of my Chinese friends, Lucky, who is a student at HNU:


Dear Olivia!!!I am so excited now! I saw you on TV! It is my favorite TV program. You and Rachel were singing. The man who translated for you is a very famous country singer in China!!You are so lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   You speak great Chinese. I can sing 'guang yin de gu shi', too!!I checked the Weibo of that TV show, and found your picture. Just send it to you!   Is that Rachel's mom?



That's right, everyone. I appeared on a famous Chinese TV show. I expect to be swarmed by crazy fans and paparazzi tomorrow morning when I leave my apartment... because that's just what happens to celebrities. I suppose I'll have to get used to it...


Okay, okay, I might be exaggerating a little. But I really did appear on TV! A few months ago (March, I believe), Rachel and I went to KTV (in case you couldn't tell from previous posts, we are pretty regular KTV-ers these days). This time, however, we brought Rachel's mom who was visiting from Syracuse. About an hour into our karaoke time, a Chinese woman burst into our room and began speaking rapid Chinese at us. Obviously, we didn't understand a thing she was saying, but she appeared to be telling us something important. After looking at her with that "deer-in-headlights" expression for a few minutes, she finally realized that we couldn't understand a word she was saying. So, because what she wanted to tell us was so important, she called a friend of hers who spoke English to serve as our interpreter. I got on the phone with the friend (Ann) who explained to me that we (Me, Rachel & her mom) were being asked to participate in a Chinese game show, during which we'd have to compete against a famous Chinese folk singer. After brief deliberation, we decided "What the heck? Let's do it!" I mean, you're (probably) only in China once, right? 


So, about 15 minutes later, we were joined in our KTV room by a camera crew, an energetic host and a famous Chinese folk singer. Before we knew it, they began recording, and *holy crap* the host was speaking Chinese. Fast Chinese. We still have no idea what he was saying. Fortunately, before we could look too panicked, the famous folk singer explained what was going on in English, and continued to serve as translator during the rest of our time on camera. After a brief introduction, we received instructions: sing yell into the microphone as loud as possible. Goal? To sing louder than the folk singer (and for those of you who haven't heard Chinese folk music, those singers can get LOUD). They gave us a special microphone that measured sound decibels for an accurate reading. 
Great. 
I won't lie, I did not expect us to beat this guy. For those of you who know me (and if you knew Rachel), you would probably peg both of us as fairly quiet people. The only person I've ever yelled at is my sister, and I've never heard Rachel yell at anyone (although she also has a younger sister whom I'm fairly certain she's yelled at). Like I said, not a lot of hope here.


So, the folk singer went first. He pretty much blew my mind (especially because I'm pretty sure he only got about half as loud as he's actually capable of doing) and then he handed me the mike. Ha. Nevertheless, I reminded myself "you're only in China once" and I yelled. And I was loud... but not loud enough. I failed. But I didn't let that get me down, because  my PIC, Rachel, still had a chance. And Rachel took that chance, looked it in the eye like a champ, and kicked its butt. That's right, y'all, she beat the folk singer (who knew she could yell like that?). And then we won a 12-pack of Chinese beer and some facial products (which, to this day, remain a mystery - they're Chinese, and the only English on the packaging makes absolutely no sense). And then everyone said goodbye and it was back to "normal" life again. 


When we didn't hear anything about our TV appearance, we figured it never aired and forgot about it. Until tonight. I replied to Lucky asking about a picture and this is what she said:


http://weibo.com/ztvkalaok          Look carefully for it!!!~~
The video will soon be online, maybe after 2 weeks!   I will tell you then, and send you the link! That is the most popular TV show in Zhejiang!!!


Most popular show in the province - exciting, right? But finding the picture is difficult, so I have saved you the trouble and downloaded it myself. Here you go: 

Becky, Rachel, Me and Abo (the folk singer)
I'll be signing autographs all next week - let me know if you're interested. 

Happy singing everyone!

No comments: